How to file online income tax for free?
Income tax returns are generally filed in compliance to the section 139 (1) of the Income Tax Act of 1961 by the individuals of the country whose total annual income is greater than the maximum amount that is not chargeable to the tax. The tax is generally deducted at source before the salary is credited in the account. Such people should file for income tax returns (ITR). Individuals can now file for income tax returns online by a process called as e-filing.
E-filing can be done in two ways, an offline route which basically asks you to visit the income tax department office and do the filing manually and the other is the e-filing or filing online for income tax returns.
Steps To Prepare And Submit An Online Income Tax Return Request
- First log in to the e-filing website of the Government of India with a username id, password, date of birth and the correct the captcha.
- then click on the option of e-file and then click on prepare and submit the ITR online (Remember ITRs 1 and 4S can be filed online)
- now select the income tax return type form either ITR 1 or ITR 4S and then submit the assessment year
- Complete all the details on the page and then click on Submit.
- After that upload, your digital signature certificate is required (the DSC has to be registered with the e-filing)
- Now click on the submit button
- If all the details entered are correct, an ITR-V will be displayed. Download the ITR-V form or else it will also be sent on your registered email id.
- If the ITR-V is not uploaded with the registered DSC, then you need to print, sign and submit the ITR-V to the CPC, Bangalore within 120 days from the date of e-filing. Your online income tax return will only be processed after receiving the processed receipt of the signed ITR-V.